2019-08-23 (F) Weekly Summary

I went to DEFCON again this year. It is one of the biggest hacker conventions and reliably a great time. This year, I did not focus on the talks, but I spent time with my fellow biohackers, often near the Biohacking Village, or restaurant, or in a crowd, at someone's room and sometimes the room, I shared with my girlfriend. Even though I did not attend many talks or workshops, I helped teach a few classes where my soldering skills were helpful.
DEFCON 27 photo op

Some of the lights on the test LED strips did not look the same. The top row of lights have a warmer color, but they should all be white. Some tricks were tried to get them to cooperate including using a different IO pin, reorganizing the code, and swapping wires with a known-good LED strip. None of the experiments had any effect, so the problem is likely the hardware. Since these won't be in the final build, there is no reason to worry about their inconsistency.
Noticeable difference in the top row of LED color temperature

A function was written to display rudimentary numbers on the 3x5 grid of lights. The numbers could be red, green, or blue, and their bottom could start on any of the first nine positions. Displaying numbers will be useful for making a clock.
Displaying numerals

My attention returned to physical construction. A 5V power supply arrived and needed installation. A power strip was mounted at the same time, and a cord was salvaged to run the device. Using a power tap with a switch was convenient for a couple of reasons. The strip provides a sturdy place to land wires, and a single switch allows everything to cleanly turn off as opposed to pulling multiple cords from the wall, and since all power comes from the same place, the project only needs a single outlet. It will likely also supply power to folks working on nearby laptops.
The 5V power supply wired to a power tap

Everything on the base needed to be secured so it would not become detached or damaged during shipping. While mounting, everything was wired correctly. The 9V battery was eliminated to make space for the 12V power supply, and the occasional 5V battery pack that powered the Arduino went away.
H-bridge mounted near motors

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.

First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.