2020-03-20 (F) Weekly Summary

I was making square handles because I was using square voltage converters, and I thought I would have to mount a switch inside a square handle. There are a few tricky aspects to that, and I sketched them last time, and now I had a print. Unfortunately, they didn't hold as well as tightly as I had hoped, but the dimensions were spot on, and I think I could do better if I spent more time.
Compression mount for pushbutton

Instead of fussing and cussing about the internal switch holder, I decided that chassis-mount switches are easy enough to buy, so I grabbed a good looking one from the surplus store and installed it into a square handle. With that, I had a working knife in a chunky handle.
Square-handled knife

Everyone who saw the square handle thought it looked uncomfortable and unwieldy, so I started developing round versions that I could install into plastic piping. The difficulty with round containers is mounting a switch, which needs a flat surface. I've done this before with my laser tag project, and the concept here is the same. A printed part acts as the interface and gets glued between the pipe and provides a flat surface for the switch.
Switch adapter for pipe mounting

Once I had a reliable design and generous dimensions, I added surface-area where I would apply glue. The first version was snug enough that I could twist the switch, and the threads would bite into the plastic, but the next version had space for the nut to sit.
Long switch adapter

Now that I had a good print, I glued the adapter and switch in place. ABS cement didn't have any effect on the pipe, so I tried E6000, which worked splendidly. The lobes on the switch adapter helped spread out the glue. Since I glued everything in place, I soldered the switch beforehand, and it would not be serviceable without destroying the adapter and pipe.
Adhering adapter to pipe

I was testing with a knife that wasn't the same model the knife making group agreed upon, but this was still a prototype. The blade I had had a larger diameter, and I had to buy a PVC adapter to make it all fit. I have kept up with pushing metal standoffs into the rubber knife blades where I could use #6 bolts from either side of the handle.
Long round prototype

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.

First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.