2020-05-08 (F) Weekly Summary

Most of the time, I have edited podcasts by carefully picking out the usable parts and deleting the dull parts. Simple. This time, I had to deal with a longer. In the past, I started with forty-five minutes and trimmed it down to fifteen solid minutes, but now, I had two hours, and there were still only about fifteen usable minutes. I broke down the task by dedicating a day to cutting out big chunks where we performed, and later I cleaned up the blocks.
Clean editing in episode 2

To spice up the show, I wanted to add sound effects, so I found a free iOS app and installed it on an iPad. When I tried to use it during a show, I discovered that no one else could hear it. Bummer. I found this was a known driver issue with my USB↔sound converter. The device would still bring in sound reliably, but only one channel, so I experimented with the idea of implementing a full-size mixing board to capture my mic and other inputs. Then, I found out that my Linux box supported the drivers without issues and ran all the programs I used for the meeting.
Sound equipment

Our third episode was like the first two, where we played improv games, but this time I was expressly invited to join as a player instead of a host. Learning improv from people also practicing was so great. They were happy to explain all game guidelines carefully, and everyone was inclusive.
Recording the third episode

I edited episode three the same as two over a couple of days. I hit a snag when I deleted the extracted clips, but by then, I had exported that track as a single sound file, so I was able to trim it apart into sound bites, which I can mix later.
Episode three

When I ran out of editing work, I started a new project based on the Atari Punk Console. I had all the parts to make one, except for 555 timers in DIP-packages. Fortunately, I had some of the chips with a SOIC footprint and some adapter boards, so I built the device based on the Wikipedia schematic.
Atari Punk Console

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.

First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.