2020-11-20 (F) Weekly Summary

My first servo horn was too weak for the kind of tension I needed. The revisions should strengthen it by using a rod holder in front of the fulcrum and behind. There was also a problem with the part slipping on the servo sprocket, so I modeled it to let me connect it to one of the servo horns that comes with the motor.
Updated servo horn attachment

Another problem with my fragile parts was a dirty print nozzle. It was severely clogged and kept plastic from flowing, so my pieces came out spongy. Fortunately, I had some cleaning filament and managed to clear out a lot of debris. I need to do this more often.
Cleaning filament with gunk

Now that my parts were more substantial, I assembled a servo attachment to a bearing cup with a stick and string, but here I found out the tension was not enough to keep the rod stationary. The stick was firmly wedged into the printed end in all the previous models, so it wasn't a problem.
Strung parts and unwanted movement

Printing the model with narrow rod holes was a problem because the skewers were not consistent. I thought about tapering the holes or adding glue, but I decided on set screws. Screws would be inexpensive and reversible. I still haven't decided on the rod length, so swapping them out may become vital.
Set screw servo attachment

Set screws helped everything. I didn't need the cleats, and the rods didn't twist. The puck movement was not smooth, and I couldn't reach all the letters. When I had long rods, I could point to everything, but they were too flexible.
(0:20) Short rods and set screws

To make the long segments sturdy, I remodeled the connectors for two skewers and set screws. They were rigid this time, and I could reach all the letters except for "YES" and "NO" in the corners. The puck hung between the actuated posts with these long servo rods, whereas before, it was suspended above the fulcrums. 
(0:15) Double rods on servo horn

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.