2019-12-06 (F) Weekly Summary

The solenoids in the MIDIGlocken project needed lower clearance on the plastic sheet where they were mounted. The most practical solution would have been to remove the magnets and cut away the unwanted plastic with a power saw. Instead, I tested a butane hot-knife. It was messy, I got molten plastic on my fingers, and it took a long time. This was my first experience with a hot knife, and I can store that knowledge away for a time when it is a practical solution.
Cutting plastic with a butane hot- knife

Mounting the rack of solenoids to the glockenspiel will be its own trial. I conceptualized and modeled a part that would do the trick, but my new printer had to be set up. I ran into lots of issues where the hot end ran into the build surface and scratched it deeply. I tried researching the problem, but I finally contacted tech support.
Damaged printer surface

While I waited for tech support to get back to me, I worked on the programmable and electrical side of things. In my stock, I had an eight-relay module which would control power to the electromagnets. I planned to fit everything inside the glockenspiel, but I think it makes more sense to keep the instrument modifications to a minimum, so I will install a port on the side where I can deliver power.
Automatable relay module

I needed to run nine wires, one for each of the eight notes and a common. In my stock, I had a ten-pin connector and plug. The hard part was finding a cable with enough wires inside. Eight would have been easy. Instead, I bundled eight color-coded conductors and an extra black wire inside some heat-shrink tubing, then soldered the wires to the connector.
Custom cable and connector

I still needed work to get my printer running, so I distracted myself with a project for a couple of my cousins. I called it the PhonoMug. It is a disc that sits on top of a coffee mug, and tines, like bamboo, can be flicked to elicit a tone.
PhonoMug sketch

I drafted the shapes to process plastic on a laser cutter. The first design had a lot of slop in the tines, so I fastened them with a second block. The resulting device looked like a torture tool, so I should remove the pointed ends when I tune the tines but trimming them.
PhonoMug V0.02

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.

First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.