2020-02-14 (F) Weekly Summary

This week I was centered around a new project, SocketSetStack. I have a socket wrench set at work, and the parts are prone to falling out of their case at the slightest jostle. I shopped around for a socket organizer, and they were more expensive than I felt was reasonable. My solution was to print something, and since I didn't find anything after a couple of minutes of searching, I decided to make my own. My printer still needed calibrating, so printing iterations would also give me a chance to tune my equipment.

My concept was to have four limbs around a central straw. I would use a standard bolt in the middle and stack these prints, which could each hold four sockets. Since the square holes are identical, I could print all the limbs the same size. Rounded corners and sides should ensure a reliable fit.
Starting a new model

The first prints had terrible warping due to poorly calculated bed temperatures. The width of the four extensions was still too narrow for a tight fit. I shortened the model so I would not print higher than the limbs. There was no need to waste the top portion while doing test fits.
Not a perfect fit

I added tapered ribs to the model for more friction, but it was a weak solution for a couple of reasons. The tapered design would mean wedging a socket on with some force, which could be damaging. Since this was a parametric model, increasing the limb length could stretch the rib to a point where it would not engage the metal. All this was too bad because the ribs looked cool.
A different take on a friction fit

My final design copied the bead design found on socket wrenches. Instead of a spring-loaded metal sphere, I printed a hemisphere on each limb. I had to use the sides because I was still getting warped prints, and the top side and bottom side were not uniform.
A classic approached worked better

I was getting the hang of my new printer, and some of my copies were nearly flawless. The secret was temperature and loads of glue. Even in the picture below, you can see the curvature on some of the limbs. The first model was for 1/4" sockets.
The namesake makes sense

The next model would be for 3/8" sockets. All my measurements were metric, even though socket drivers all seem to be in fractions of an inch. Alternatively, this model could be used to hold any item with a square hole. The model will be published on Thingiverse as a parametric model so anyone can change the dimensions to suit their needs.
Measuring for another size socket

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.

First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.