2020-06-05 (F) Weekly Summary

I hoped it would be easy to stream my HouseRobotInterference to YouTube from a mobile phone, or at least easier than the Linux distribution on Raspberry Pi. I had a couple of old but functional phones in stock, but I was not eligible for live streaming because my channel did not have the required number of subscribers. There are other options I will have to explore with streaming from a mobile.
YouTube denial message

I found a program to stream my mobile screen, but the only sound it would broadcast was the microphone. There wasn't anything in the settings to change, so I built an adapter that would electrically convey the headphone audio directly to the input, so the only sound the app transmitted was the system sound.
Specialty plugs

Finally, I was streaming from an Android phone, but it was unreliable. I started troubleshooting with things like updates, but I decided the old phone probably didn't have the necessary power to run a bloated app like Google Play Music, and simultaneously a full-screen sound visualizer while streaming on wifi. To combat the problems, I looked for a light-weight music player app with active graphics. During the day, I had started a lot of streams, and I think YouTube kicked me out for a bit to calm down.
Phone screen through YouTube

I moved from an upstairs apartment to a split-level house this week, so HouseRobotInterference was back-burnered because I didn't have internet.

In the future, I have projects that will require me to wind solenoids (coils of insulated wire) for electromagnets or transformers. The important thing will be to monitor the number of turns, so I decided to dedicate a small project to a drill shaft monitor that will tell me the speed, in RPM, and rotation count. The device will be a 3D printed assembly that will hang off a hexagonal shaft and read a spinning magnet.
HexShaftMonitor concept

 The first part I modeled was the magnet holder designed to position a disc magnet against a shaft so they would spin together. I used OpenSCAD for the 3D modeling and kept a few parameters accessible, so it was possible to change the magnet dimensions and even the hex size. In my first print, I miscalculated the hex size, and it printed double the diameter, but I proved that the rest of the code was reliable when I produced a 1/4" model and it fit while the double-size model fit onto a 1/4" hex tool.
Two sizes of magnet holder

The next part I modeled was a base, shown in yellow, that would hold the electronics and feature three standoffs that would maintain a bit of clearance between it and the next layer a flat cover. There were three pillars to keep the lid parallel. If I had access to a laser cutter, I would have made the flat sides on there instead.
Rotating view of base with transparent magnet holder

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.