2020-10-17 (Sa) 80PercentArRifle

I am doing two things I haven't done on this blog before. I am following the directions for a produced product, and I am working with firearms. I am putting this on my blog for a couple of reasons, not just keeping it behind the scenes while working on more exciting projects. I have spent a significant amount of time, and secondly, because I allocate chunks of each day to projects, work, relaxing, eating, and exercising. If I expend my project energies on other things, I neglect everything else. I don't have much of a back-burner, and I don't multi-task well, so I focus on one project until it is a success or failure.

My goal is not to show what a cool gun I am building. I want to show the process of turning an eighty percent lower receiver into a functional part. If all goes well, I may photograph some used targets or the completed rifle.

Enough background.

I bought a new drill press to work on this at my home instead of the hackspace, where I don't know if my project would be welcome. It would probably be fine, and I wouldn't impose it on anyone who wasn't comfortable.

The problem with the drill press was that it was smaller than necessary. The table could not lower far enough to install an X-Y slide clamp, and the base stand was too far away from the drill chuck. My solution was to add a riser on top of the base and elevate the clamp. In this case, I used a mahogany 1x4 and held it in place with 5/16" bolts. It was less than ideal, and if I knew all the trouble it was going to cause, I would have bought a taller drill press.
My brand new drill press and X-Y slide clamp

I aligned the clamp with the drill base as best as possible, but it was likely inaccurate. I tried to go easy on my first pass, but I drilled too deep and not close enough to the edges. In other words, I took plastic out in the wrong areas. Part of the problem was unclear instructions, and part was because I didn't understand the directions thoroughly. It should still be possible to make a working receiver with this part.
Imperfect milling

The rest of the posts for this project have been arranged by date. First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by  Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.