2020-11-13 (F) Weekly Summary

I covered another video from Justin Atkin about his journey to make spider silk with genetically-modified yeast, which is the second time I've covered this scientist tackling this project. Still, it marks the completion since he successfully produced yeast that will excrete silk. The next steps will be making things out of the raw silk.

I printed the parts I started last week. The mirror spacers worked right away, but the shuttle needed some work. The first version required some changes, and I promptly made a new one. My revision was shorter, had a hidden magnet holder, and the viewport's center was directly between the magnets.

Puck revision

To create sturdy and inexpensive servo arms, I designed some rod-ends to mate with bearings or fit directly onto a servo. To make them strong and light, I will place a rod into the socket, and with the cleats on either side, I can reduce flexing and twisting.
Models for rod ends

I sketched up and cut a new board. This one has sockets for a couple of servo motors. I won't be using this for the final version, so I grabbed some scrap plastic from the hackspace. All I want to do with this is test how to use the servos, and the rod ends.
Upgrade to servo sockets

I connected an Arduino to a couple of potentiometers and a couple of servo motors. The microcontroller holds to a prototyping board with friction instead of soldering, keeping it steady. On the backside, I connected my test wires between the pins and devices and used the prototyping board to split power and ground between everything.
Motors mounted or servos secured

Before testing, I assembled the arms from bamboo skewers and the 3D printed rod ends. I didn't add strings, but there were a few areas where I need to improve my designs because the parts were failing. Even with damaged parts, and a rudimentary Arduino program, I got the puck to move.
(0:26) Servo control

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.