2021-01-08 (F) Weekly Summary

I ran all the controller's long wires to their respective buttons, sliders, power, and a line to my MIDI soundcard's serial port. I wrapped this in low-density polyethylene (LDPE) to insulate it from accidental shorts.

MIDI soundcard

I decided to change my line-out from a 1/8" socket to a 1/4" socket at the last minute because the parts were easier to mount. While I was adding new hardware, I decided to include an old-school MIDI out port to talk to computers or synthesizers in the future. Once I  installed everything, I put all the panels together, and I  finished the assembly.
All the mechanical stuff is finished

I made a couple of Cherry MX keycaps for the buttons. On top, they have a minus or plus symbol since they'll be decrementing or incrementing variables. For the first time, I used Fusion 360 as my modeling program, which was a powerful tool.
Keycaps made in Fusion 360

My second keycap revision fit properly, but only if I printed them with their tops touching the printer bed. If I reversed them, the mounting peg would get distorted and never connect with the switch. Since they look silly sitting so high over the keyswitch, I will make a sleeker version.
Revised keycaps

The big test for my wiring would be if I could power a speaker from the amplifier. Creating sound would mean that my data and power connections to the soundcard were good, the amplifier was working (at 12V), and the audio links worked. Before I got sound, I had to juggle a few wires, including adding an unnecessary 3.3V line to the soundcard.

I haven't worked with a screen this large before, but I don't think the size, only a 480*320, will be a problem. When I loaded some demo code, I got visuals. Unfortunately, the images were upside-down and mirrored. I looked for controls, but I had to change the driver chip name to function correctly.
Display is working

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.