2022-01-14 (F) Weekly Summary

I made hole templates on painter's tape and drilled the sides of the lunchbox to match. I should have just cut the large central hole and added the mounting holes afterward. I cut the first data port free, mounted it with three inches of wire off the back, and planned to use solder sleeves to reattach, but I decided to wait until I had a way to support the faceplate first.
MIDI ports drilled

I built a plate with bolts sticking up and placed it in the bottom of the lunchbox so my faceplate could rest on it. Next, I removed the MIDI connectors and installed them on the outside after reconnecting. I still have to check all my connections, but otherwise, I'm done building the first instrument panel.
Construction complete

I lucked out when it came to connecting my operators. I estimated a 12.5% chance of getting everything connected properly, and I happened to get it right the first time.
Screen and pot working against the odds

I figured out my problems with the button array. One issue was declaring pins correctly, and the other roadblock was recognizing rising edges, which was trickier than when each button had a unique input. I showed the button presses on the serial port.
Recognizing buttons

I ran into issues storing instrument names in the non-volatile memory. I did this because processor memory is precious, and I don't want to fill it with text. Even though I spent most of the day twisting it out, I didn't fix everything, but I constructed a preliminary screen that shows all the instrument choices.
The words I want

The code that reports instrument names broke the display again. I was trying to pull variables from an array I created to divide notes into beats neatly. I struggled with the messy code and settled on a workaround that displayed sentences like "1 note every 2 beats."
Play rate from a switch() statement

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7
Completed projects from year 8

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.