2023-11-17 (F) Weekly Summary

I found some four-channel level shifters and added them to the drawing, then installed them on my protoboard. I could not get the screens to turn on, but some of my testing probably burned them up. Next time, I will use pluggable headers on the displays.
Schematic with level shifters

I added headers to a couple of new screens, but I found some reversed wiring, and one screen worked when I corrected it. The other screen needed a replacement, but they both worked when I finished.
The displays work now

I tried to display identical mode-related text on each screen, but the alignment on the second one was off. The problem was that the program pointer printed the first screen and continued on the second, proving that I could write to both.
I can show different things on each

I implemented the screens as parts of an array, which I was surprised to see work. This was a huge timesaver, but I still had to modify my existing functions to accept and use an extra integer that designated the screen.
Treating each screen as an array entity

I added libraries for the Adafruit encoder boards, which increased memory usage from 20% to 24%. Integrating the encoder functions was messy as the Adafruit library reports absolute position. The potentiometers' color knobs were backward and on the wrong side of the screen, so I updated their pin assignments, but I will have to change which side of the screen they appear on. There is a lot of work ahead.
Start of encoder integration

I revised the screen code so everything appeared on the correct monitor, but it was still flipped. The encoders worked partially because I could change values by turning the knob backward, and my code refused the readings unless they came into a usable range, meaning I needed to spin a couple of rotations before the value updated. Changing the instruments made sense because they were not numbered.
Changing instruments

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7
Completed projects from year 8
Completed projects from year 9
Completed projects from year 10

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.