2024-01-19 (F) Weekly Summary

I made another coil revision to widen the gap between the traces, but it was still too broad, and a 1.0mm tool cut away too much copper. I used a 0.8mm tool, which was still too wide for a usable cut.
Taking too much copper

I converted my raw CAD files to G-code using a popular program called "DXF to G-Code Converter." It took some learning and experimentation, but I output usable G-code and ran it with a 1.0mm bit. While the result was pretty good, the traces were still fragile, and I cut deeper than necessary.
Teeny tiny traces

I received new bits and copper-clad boards in the mail and attempted to cut a coil, but the results were not perfect. I switched to a larger copper board and cut six coils, which cut as planned but required significant burr removal. After measuring the resistance of a coil, I realized it was too low, but I will move to the second layer. I suspected the ragged edges were due to a slow spindle speed.
Wide and ragged

I ran test cuts on my machine at different feed rates. Lower feed rates produced terrible burrs, but higher speeds made cleaner cuts, which was great news. I made a mirror image of my coils and ran the machine at 600mm/min, but the edges were still awful, so I plan to try 800mm/min next time. To clean up the loose copper, I used a rotary tool with a wire brush bit, which quickly and cleanly removed the burrs on both sides of the board.
Clean edges for a change

I completed the coil wiring but had to fix a few things. When I cleaned the boards with the wire brush, I damaged some coils, which I repaired with wire across the breaks. The coils were designed to stack, but I placed them back to back so I could access the copper, but that meant my electrical connections were mirrored, so I jumpered a few pads. The resistance was a small fraction of an ohm, which will require care when I apply power.
A fraction of an ohm

I soldered wires to each winding of the two-sided PCB motor. The coils on opposite sides were wired in the same color for easy coordination. These wires were connected to a 12-position terminal strip with jumpers to connect the coils to a delta-connected motor. The three wires from the terminal will connect to an electronic speed controller.
Delta △ configuration motor

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7
Completed projects from year 8
Completed projects from year 9
Completed projects from year 10

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.