2023-10-06 (F) Weekly Summary

After finalizing the faceplate layout, I revised the internal parts, which taught me a lot from yesterday's debacle. The new pieces should be more rugged and fit correctly. I had trouble cutting plywood on my laser, but I found a solution by inspecting the wood for a harder internal layer, which led to cleaner cuts. The faceplate and back came out nicely after painting the yellow regions.
Black paint layer

I painted the enclosure, but debris got stuck to the tacky paint since I countersunk the holes after painting. The internal pieces fit well, but I forgot to add 1/4" holes to the right side. I cut new copies and installed them with the TRRS headphone module inside. I modified the schematic for the right-hand circuit to match the left-hand one, including changing the keyswitch configuration, IO assignment, and data lines.
Left-hand schematic

I used four types of keyswitches for the keyboard. The mode buttons use unique blacks, which have stiff springs to prevent accidents. The internal wiring took a day, and I used different colored wires for each function.
One day's wiring

While assembling the keyboard, I soldered the Arduino on the wrong half of the PCB, so I used a razor saw to remove the wood blocking the USB port. I also used shorter standoffs on the protoboard to fit the top and bottom together. After powering up the unit, I read every key and assigned keyboard actions.
Both halves constructed

I connected the keyboard halves with a four-conductor headphone cable and revised the code to establish communication. I was not parsing the data, but I was receiving it.
Receiving data from right-hand keyboard

I created a function to convert serial data into integers because my data had a letter at the front. To differentiate my three-digit serial address, I added 1000 and programmed new entries to my code's switch-case. Everything worked, and I used the keyboard to write this blog.
Split keyboard and data cable

The rest of the summary posts have been arranged by date.
First time here?

Completed projects from year 1
Completed projects from year 2
Completed projects from year 3
Completed projects from year 4
Completed projects from year 5
Completed projects from year 6
Completed projects from year 7
Completed projects from year 8
Completed projects from year 9
Completed projects from year 10

Disclaimer for http://24hourengineer.blogspot.com and 24HourEngineer.com

This disclaimer must be intact and whole. This disclaimer must be included if a project is distributed.

All information on this blog, or linked by this blog, is not to be taken as advice or solicitation. Anyone attempting to replicate, in whole or in part, is responsible for the outcome and procedure. Any loss of functionality, money, property, or similar, is the responsibility of those involved in the replication.

All digital communication regarding the email address 24hourengineer@gmail.com becomes the intellectual property of Brian McEvoy. Any information contained within these messages may be distributed or retained at the discretion of Brian McEvoy. Any email sent to this address, or any email account owned by Brian McEvoy, cannot be used to claim property or assets.

Comments to the blog may be utilized or erased at the discretion of the owner. No one posting may claim property or assets based on their post.

This blog, including pictures and text, is copyright to Brian McEvoy.